Thursday, November 08, 2007

Don't Drink and...

No!!! Not another one!!!

Take it easy!!! This one is not another mountainous adventure I had. This article is a serious one, which describes an accident that my friends had recently. Don't get deceived by the title that it is one of those drunk and drive case. The story was narrated by my friend Edith who was one among those lucky four and I articulated it with words and expressions. For better feel, I've put myself into her shoes and have written the article in first person.

At the eleventh hour on Saturday, we (Luis Ruben, Jonathan, Jual Manuel and myself) decided to visit "Real de Catorce", a historical place known for its desert landscapes and peyotes. We had planned to stopover at Juan Manuel's ranch enroute for a siesta and hence started in the night, driving along the Monterrey-Saltillo road in Luis Ruben's, considerably new, Platina. Being a lady I was offered the front seat by the gentlemen and I decided to have my share of sleep, for I was supposed to be driving the last stretch of journey. Luis Ruben started driving and in no time I was deep asleep.

Like shaken by a dreadful nightmare, my sleep was disturbed by scary screams of Luis Ruben. He was nervously shouting, "Hold onnnnnnnnnn!!! Hold on to somethingggggggggggg!!! Someone on the highway!!! Hold onnnnnnnnnnnn!!!"

I was still not wide awake, before I got conscious and cognizant of the infernal situation, the car was toppling off the street causing an utterly random motion, tousling each of us in the car in its most chaotic form, creating a great sense of fear and scourge. I'm not sure, but I guess the car tumbled about four times!!! I was being dangerously tossed towards the windshield but the seatbelt secured me back. The momentum was so high that the seatbelt nearly crushed my right shoulders, but I must confess that without that I were not to be alive today to narrate this story. As the car kept tumbling and colliding the ground on my side I felt as though my neck broke and my head was falling off. My neck was severely ailed due to the sudden jerks. I was losing my nerve every time I heard the loud banging noise the car made when it hit the ground. Even the sight of car getting deformed due to collision was not just a scary, but a miserable and a sorry one...the windows were shattered, the glass pieces were sprinkled inside and in no time the whole thing was blindingly dusty, silent and settled. The car had regained its balance and surprisingly had stood on wheels.

My sight was obscured by dust and Juan Manuel, dazed and confused, started screaming "Its gonna explodeeeeeeeee, its gonna explodeeeeee, get offffff, get offfff the car, runnnnnnnnnn, runnnnnnnn!!!"

It was not the time for me to sit there and work on logic about the car explosion. Add to it the dust had made me half blind. Without any brain-work I just thought I should get the hell out of that place. I tried opening door, it was jammed beyond repair. It was again surprising how it opened with a kick or two. Heedlessly I jumped out and others followed. I call it heedless because I had no idea where on earth I would land...end of ridge, edge of cliff, snake bush, other side of highway...but we were safe.

Four truck drivers had noticed us, they approached us. Juan Manuel, still panicking ran to them and hugged one those guys, the driver in turn hugged him warmly, patted on his back and consoled him with kind words "You are OK!!! You are OK!!!" Luis Ruben came running and asked if I was OK and before I could ask him back he was heading to Juan Carlos. I was worried more about Luis Ruben as I had seen him breaking the windshield with his head.

Juan Carlos was the only guy who was bleeding but he claimed that it was Juan Manuel's blood and not his. I thought Juan Carlos was badly hurt and was in a shock, for when someone is cut or injured deeply, the pain is not experienced immediately. And what hit me more was when Juan Carlos told that Juan Manuel's head was cut deeply and asked us not to tell him since he does not know. Murphy's law was playing its role and Juan Manuel had already heard the conversation and was crying, "What's on my head??? Tell me what's on my headddd???" Worse still, he felt the liquid on his blood and thought he was bleeding badly. The icebreaker was the fact that the liquid of interest was not really blood, but the cola which Juan Manuel was having in the car just before the accident. The truck driver gave him a hug again and comforted. The other funny part was that the blood on Juan Carlos' hand was indeed his. A shrapnel from the exploding windowpane had hurt him.

My shoulder started paining incredibly; I started shivering due to both pain and shock. I was feeling numb all over my body due to low pressure, I was not sure whether to throw up or black out. My neck also was terribly aching. I helped myself to the car, which fortunately had not exploded, to relax. I sat in the car and waited for the ambulance, which took about an hour to reach us.

The ambulance was an underfed, malnutritioned one. It neither had fuel nor the asprin. The crew did not have money to fill fuel too. We reached the hospital in Saltillo and were thankful to all the Gods, for we witnessed many souls reaching that hospital not being as lucky as we were.

After all this you may be wondering what on earth would cause Luis Ruben to lose control to such an extent that it toppled over four times. It was a drunk who was crossing the speedy highway. The truck drivers caught him when we were there and he was one unhurt lucky bastard who didn't have any sense of what had happened.

In the mean time the cops had arrested, though it sounds absolutely ridiculous, Luis Ruben. The explanation the cops gave us were stupid, hilarious and nonsensical. They said Luis Ruben should have hit the drunkard crossing the road, which would prove that Luis Ruben was driving normal and it was the drunkard's mistake. Just that he tried to avoid him and met with such a bad accident, they claimed it was Luis Ruben's mistake. They did not release him until the hospital authorities affirmed that all co-passengers were out of danger. The drunkard was the happy man in the end. Neither did he get arrested nor he realized what had happened.

Henceforth for heaven's sake...

DON'T DRINK AND CROSS THE HIGHWAY
Post a Comment