Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Boca de Potrerillos

On carretera Monclova - Monterrey (Mex53), after an hour long drive from Monterrey you approach the municipality of Mina. If your eyes are sharp enough, you'll see a tiny board pointing towards left with the letters "Zona Arqueológica", with no further details, not even the name nor the distance. During our return journey from Cuatro Cienegas (the board would be on the right hand side in this case), I got curious about this place and we decided to check it out, for archeological ruins are a thing of south and you hardly find such things in the north of Mexico.

It was a difficult trail for the car to make. Loose stones, thick dust, jerky roads were better suited for 4WDs than our poor Jetta, but it still could make it at crawling pace. We were driving with no clue as to what we could find there and how long we had to drive. Enroute we found a truck, the driver of which told us the ruins were around 2-3KM. We kept driving wearily, hoping for some notice or someone whom we can ask. Finally we saw a building at the horizon and that was it. It was just a 5KM deviation off the highway but we took half hour, that's worse than my running pace.

There was a small edifice, which marked the entrance of ruins where we had to mention our names for the record sake. And the name of the place is "Zona Arqueológica Boca de Potrerillos". It's named that way for it's located between the mountains "La Zorra" and "El Antrisco" which forms a mouth (boca) for entering the Canyon de Potrerillos. This place, it seems, has more than 4000 rocks with petroglyphs. It's supposed to be the first place that was declared as prehistoric site in Mexico. The aforementioned edifice at the entrance also acts as a site museum with few prehistoric findings.

I couldn't make much sense out of the Spanish board there, for I couldn't get the meaning of petroglifo and I was wondering where on the earth are the ruins as I passed along the rocks. I found this old Canadian guy pointing his lens to the rocks and clicking. I then asked him where on this holy earth were the ruins and he, probably smirking inside at my ignorance, showed me the petroglyphs on the rocks which he was shooting and I started showing the same to my camera. I was thrilled to see some prehistoric remains for the first time ever in my life and here I'm sharing them with you, check it out. I've also included few of the surrounding landscape shots.


















Post a Comment