Friday, January 15, 2010

Annular Solar Eclipse Photographs

My sick leave was well spent today. Instead of curling down inside sheets, I went to my terrace with my Canon 20D, 70-200/4L, a Manfrotto tripod, polarized Rayban and a couple of old X-ray sheets. Though a telephoto of 200 is not really great for shooting eclipses, I thought of giving it a shot without having the slightest clue of what I could get. I used X-ray sheets as a poor-man's Neutral Density (ND) filter to photograph the event. Most shots were taken from f8 to f16, all mounted on tripod.

Presence of occasional fleecy clouds also made a lot good for photographing the event. It resulted in photographs which, I feel, could easily be on a cover of some dark Scandinavian metal band. The difference in the tone that you see in the collage are mainly due to variation in the tones in X-ray sheet. The weather and the ambience were great during the eclipse, the light was warm and perfect for photography and cool breeze made my life a lot easier on the terrace. For viewing the eclipse I used the combination of my shades and X-ray sheets.

It feels great to having seen and got an opportunity to click one the rarest celestial events. Below are few photographs. Click on each of them to view'em large.










Post a Comment