Friday, October 22, 2010

Palak Paneer

I had not given an opportunity for my family to relish my delicacies for a while, I did it last night by preparing Palak Paneer, which is as exotic as hors d'oeuvre or truffle dessert at my place, in fact, in most south Indian orthodox Brahmin's house I must say.  So I asked my mother to bring Paneer and she said she wasn't sure if she can get the right one, for my father had got mozzarella cheese last time when he was asked to get Paneer and mom didn't want to make the same blunder.  Finally I bought 2 packs of Niligir's Paneer (cottage cheese) and got into the job, here comes my recipe:


Ingredients:
  • 2 packs of paneer (cottage cheese)
  • 2 bunches of palak (spinach)
  • 2 onions
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 8-10 cloves of garlic
  • thumb size garlic
  • 3-5 green chilies
  • garam masala
  • turmeric powder
  • black pepper powder
  • cream (optional)
  • oil
  • salt
  • people to eat and appreciate it
Method:
  • Cut the paneer into small sized cubes and shallow fry it in oil till it turns golden
  • Cook palak for 6-8min, drain the water and allow it to cool
  • Make chili-garlic-ginger paste
  • Now comes the most widely used north Indian formula - heat the oil, fry the chili-garlic-ginger paste, wait till the raw smell's gone, add finely chopped onion and fry till golden brown, add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric, salt, garam masala, chili powder (if you're more spicy types), black pepper powder, mix well, closed the lid and allow it cook for a while.
  • In the mean while blend the cooked palak in a blender into a smooth paste.
  • Add fried paneer pieces and allow it cook for a couple of minutes.  This will make sure that paneer soaks in the masala well.
  • Add the palak paste and mix well, add a bit of water if needed, cover the lid and cook on a low flame.
  • Cook it for about 5-7minutes and you're done.
  • Add cream in the end (you can make do without this).
Goes well with chapathis, a dash of lime and raw onions would greatly better the taste.

Try it out and let me know...
Post a Comment